Friday, June 7, 2013

Driving Miss Daisies . . .

With the elimination of one major distraction this summer, I could actually take a day off this week. What a luxury!  But then, ‘day off’ really isn't the correct term; it’s more like an exchange of my work with fabric and thread to my work with the soil and bedding plants. Oh boy!

The numerous gardens beds on our property are waiting to be planted with annuals, have their perennials trimmed and groomed, and every one of them mulched (we buy mulch by the yard; aka dump trucks loads).

So, it’s that time of year, to get down and dirty (literally)! So on a glorious day of sunshine, warm temps, blue sky, and a few white puffy clouds thrown in for good measure, I managed to get the Showroom bed decked out, along with a few of the containers waiting to be filled with color . . .


As I started my work, I realized that my color scheme for the Showroom bed seemed a ‘bit odd’ this year. Where are my CORALS ... and REDS ... and PURPLES ... and bright YELLOWS?

‘What was I thinking’ when I selected these plants? This color combination seemed too 'sugary sweet' for my taste, with the purples, creamy yellows, lavenders, and pinks. But I had the plants so there was no turning back now, and it was up to me to make the most of it.

Luckily, with the addition of a lime-cream variegated sage and the the Gold Thread Cyprus as a backdrop, the 'sugar was cut' ... and I think ... I like the final results!?

Reality check ... I should not get ahead of myself and call this ‘final’; there’s that mulch to put down, lots and lots of mulch.  But that can be work for another day, along with more planting, watering, pruning, planting, watering, trimming, moving perennials, watering, planting shrubs, watering ... you get the idea!

And now, onto a name (huh?)
In order to identify where you are on this property ... let’s say, when I'm talking to my husband about what I want him to do and where I want him to do it (gardening related help, of course) ... I’ve come to name the garden beds. Crazy? Perhaps. But it works, and for some reason it’s the one thing he seems to be able to remember.

With 5 kinds of daisies in this one area, I may just call this bed ... “Driving Miss Daisies”!

Enjoy ... and may your gardens grow!
M-A

This post is written with my friend, Ellen, in mind. She was my college dorm mate, who informed all of us one day, "It’s soil, NOT dirt!" I think we must have been teasing her about her horticulture studies, and this petite woman finally had enough already!!! Back then, I hadn't a clue about gardening, let along soil vs. dirt, but since moving to NH and developing our properties, I think of her, and that moment, every spring. Thanks for the memories Ellen!






No comments:

Post a Comment