Sunday, March 3, 2013

Stayin' Alive . . .

The title of this post is in reference to the Bee Gees era; I'm actually fine, thank you very much!
And I may have just given away my age here, not something I like to do ... but does it really matter anymore? 
So, to proceed ...


Today is Sunday, sometimes referred to as “catch-up” day around here. So there I was this afternoon, in the studio, working on the third of four pieces due Tuesday. In the background, Pandora Radio (Shuffle) was playing.

Normally, I don’t hear the same artist twice ... except for today. Carole King, Carly Simon and (the one and only) Joni Mitchell were plentiful, along with Marvin Gaye, the Bee Gees, Allman Brothers, George Harrison and Stevie Wonder, to name just a few.

This surround sound almost made me think I was back at the University of Connecticut, in the Batterson B dorm with my "old" friends, on a grey and cold Sunday afternoon.

Northwest Quadrant - how lovely!
University of Connecticut
Can you say "Time Warp" ...

My four years at the University of Connecticut were intense, to say the least.  Yes, I do have a Bachelor of Science in Apparel Design, with a minor in Fine Arts/Illustration.  What's so hard about that, you ask?  Well, for one thing my class and lab time were twice as many hours per week as someone studying ... let's say ... business.  And as my "attention to detail" was as strong then as it is now (actually stronger), the homework time required more hours than one day will give.  But this is beside the point.

What may have been just as "intense", in a very positive way, were the friendships created among a large group of us "girls", all living in Batterson B ... some of us for two years, others for three.  We all had different majors; apparel design, art, childhood development, english, physical therapy, nursing, horticulture, large animal science, chemistry ... you name it, one of us was probably studying it.  We all came from different walks of life.  We all had different lifestyles.  But for some reason, we all seemed to get along and had a good time doing it.  It's really amazing when you think about it! 
Freshman Halloween
(sorry girls, it's the only picture I have)
As the music played this afternoon, I found myself engulfed with this feeling I cannot describe.  It wasn't a "memory lane" or emotional kind of thing.  Instead, this was a feeling of being in the right place, at the right time, with the right people.  Yeah ... I do believe that's it!  I had been with the right people who provided support, laughter and a sense of belonging; critical when living in a "dumpy dorm", being an "out-of-stater" and overloaded with work.

So to the girls of Batterson B, I say THANK-YOU.  We don't actually see each other anymore, except through social media platforms, but even after all these years, you are still here ... and you helped turn a Sunday work-day into a very pleasant afternoon, indeed!  We did have a good time and I am confident, should/when we meet once again, the conversation and laughter will pick-up right where we left off!

The times may change but some things will always stay the same; friendships for one ... and again, I thank-you for that!
With love and admiration,
Mal
    
And this is how the class of 2015 spends their time in Batterson B ... I'm too short for this!












No comments:

Post a Comment